The Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry protects Ontario’s biodiversity while promoting economic opportunities in the resource sector and supporting outdoor recreation opportunities.
The ministry conducts scientific research and uses its findings to:
- sustainably manage Ontario's fish and wildlife resources
- lead the management of Ontario's Crown lands, water, oil, gas, salt and aggregates resources, including *making Crown land available for renewable energy projects
- ensure the sustainable management of Ontario's Crown forests
- guide the management of Ontario's parks and protected areas
- protect people, property and communities from forest fires, floods and droughts
- develop and apply geographic information to help manage the province's natural resources